Sunday, January 10, 2010

Its not about you.

I am bad at resolutions.

In fact, I am so bad, that it is ten days into January and I am just now getting around to deciding what my "New Year's Resolutions" will be. This year I'm trying to focus on the little things- things that are almost common sense, but they just never happen. For example, my first two resolutions are to wake up at least an hour an a half before class everyday and to drink at least one large glass of milk a day. Simple, right? This morning I got up at 7AM to make it to church by 9AM, took my time getting ready, and drank a nice big glass of milk with the most satisfaction I have ever felt while drinking a glass of milk. It was fantastic! Yes, I nearly rolled over and fell back asleep while thinking "Forget this!!" when my alarm went off at 7AM, but by the time my ride arrived (after my resolution glass of milk) I could just feel that this was a great plan for me. Have in mind- I am not a morning person.

But setting these more silly-yet important!- resolutions aside, I made this blog for a reason! I decided that I am going to read through "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. This book is basically a 40 day plan to living out your life according to God's purpose. Not that I think a book can tell me God's purpose for my life...I just need some way to make a habit out of digging into God's word every day, because its not been happening lately. I'm excited about this journey :)

Over the break, I watched the movie "Julie and Julia" with my parents. Aside from being an adorable movie, it gave me the great idea to start this blog. Like Julie started a blog to keep her accountable for her year long trek through Julia's cookbook, I am starting this blog to keep me accountable for my "40 days to Purpose".

Last night was my first reading of "The Purpose Driven Life". I had a headache, and planned to go to bed early, but right as I got into bed my headache had gone. (God is funny-eh? "Don't go to sleep yet, Paige!! Start reading 'The Purpose Driven Life' tonight!") So I did. Last night I learned some pretty important things!

*Its not about you.*
And by that, I mean its not about me. My life, is not about me! Rick Warren makes a huge point of "self-help" books. Seriously, if you were from another century and picked up a dvd player- you are not going to discover the meaning of this mess of plastic and metal from the dvd player! No, you would need either the creator or the owner's manual. This is our life. This is my life. How can you "look inside yourself" and discover the purpose for your life, when you didn't create yourself? Cool stuff :) We have to seek God for that.

I'll leave my thoughts on Day One's readings with this quote from Ephesians 1:11:

"It's in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for"

Thats a pretty direct statement!
So, Day 1:

It's not about me!-P

4 comments:

  1. thanks Christina! let me know if you keep reading this =P i need someone to keep me accountable! haha looking forward to seeing you a TON this semester!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, paige. God has a big sense of humor. I appreciate your honesty in this entry about not being in the routine of reading.

    I read the message translation because it speaks so clearly to me. unfortunately i forgot to bring it home over the break, and found it hard to want to read a translation that wasnt as black and white to me. I felt kinda empty because I wasnt allowing God to pour into me on a daily basis. But now that im back i've been diggin in again also. It's so refreshing to have that, isnt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, it is abby! something i've let go missing for too long- no more! :)
    i appreciate your feedback!
    about to start my next entry

    ReplyDelete